someone asked me how you do the riceball (onigiri) thing and I handwrote a thing
Don’t be scared, they’re actually super easy to make! They’re mostly time intensive! But not too bad…
Brown rice is better for you, I think you gotta use a little more water when you cook it, though, or it might fall apart a bit. I’m no brown rice expert though because I don’t like it, so look this up for yourself.
Short grain is really the best for this but I have a devil of a time getting short grain here in texas that isn’t assballs expensive and I’ve found medium works just fine.
things I have heard of being inside rice balls: various fishes, sausage, fried chicken, various thick pastes. Seriously, just get crazy. Good use for leftovers!
I still burn myself usually. Leave the water running a little bit in the sink, since your hands will be hot and also rice is sticky and messy and you’re gonna wanna wet them before and after you make these so it doesn’t stick to you.
seriously the only way to get those picture perfect rice balls is to buy one of those little presses off j-list or something, but jesus. I dunno. You can if you want!
ha ha I misspelled colorful.
there’s flavor packets you can buy called furikake, they usually come in fish and seaweed flavors, or egg, or beef etc. You can sprinkle those on top or mix it into the rice. I like the salmon kind… :o
Or you can use spices and cook your rice with stock for flavor, or mix in pastes like tomato paste or whatever.
Sky’s the limit.
Anyway, special note to tumblr, this is not a definitice HOW TO, I’m sure someone out there makes them different or has opinions about it or whatever, this is just how I make them. And I burn my hands constantly while I make them so take it with a grain of salt and experiment.
27 Notes/ Hide
- wheeljak reblogged this from mistahgrundy
- plaidfluff reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- spinachwrap reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- clockworkaubergine likes this
- runawayjoincircus likes this
- feedthereavers likes this
- jemmerzem likes this
- overlordrae reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- dawnspark likes this
- girlsingssadsongs likes this
- spookette likes this
- felixitous likes this
- crankymuse said: I don’t have a rice cooker. :c Would it still turn out okay just boiling it on the stove?
- coffeemugtime likes this
- tarmduffin likes this
- flitterishiding reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- kaitstomfoolery reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- mostaxellent likes this
- halleybutt likes this
- sarahfu likes this
- mistahgrundy reblogged this from haliotidae and added:
- kaitstomfoolery likes this
- heyscatcatt likes this
- haliotidae reblogged this from mistahgrundy and added:
- athenainargyle likes this
- mistahgrundy posted this